jueves, 31 de enero de 2008

Demise of the polyglot

Whenever someone asks which languages I speak fluently, I hesitate to respond. What is meant by fluency? What kind of communication(s) does it involve? Solely oral communication or literacy as well?

From the looks of me (or my surname), many people assume I speak Mandarin Chinese; this is my physical linguistic mark, as it were. Filipino (Tagalog), however, is my native tongue, and although I'm lacking vocabulary here and there, I'm still able to speak it flawlessly, sans accent. Indeed, when I see other Filipinos, especially here in Spain, I'm almost eager to show how I've retained the language after "all this time" in the U.S., and not having grown up within "the community." I'm eager precisely because of this lack, because language is the only thing that has bound/is binding me me to a country I can hardly remember, I'm almost imagining.

I'm even more eager to show how deftly I switch between Filipino and English, my other tongue, the other tongue, the language in which I've lived most of my life.

So, I explain this (in a nutshell) to the mother of a potential student. A colleague forwarded her my contact information and within a day or so, she'd emailed me, asking me about by educational and linguistic background. Yes, I explain that Filipino is my mother tongue but that I grew up in the U.S., insinuating that I speak English as though it is the only language I have ever known. I know it like the palm of my hand. As an aside, I also shared that I spoke French and Spanish.

The mother sends an apology. Because Tagalog--and not English--is my first mother tongue, she isn't be able to hire me.*

Pero, ¡¿qué dices?!

I was incredulous. Too much information, I guess.

In a somewhat calm reply to her rejection, I suggested that perhaps the experience of learning and juggling multiple languages might help her child, too.

No response yet.




*I've also heard tell of preference of British--instead of American--tutors.

3 comentarios:

Katie dijo...

un-freaking-believable. you know what? there are plenty of potential students out there. so you don't need this woman at all.

C. Lee dijo...

The situation stinks, but yeah, I'm trying to stay positive.

MLE dijo...

I wish I was surprised, but seeing as how every Asian person in Spain is apparently "chino," I am not particularly amazed. And yes, when I have posted fliers saying an American offers English classes, people have asked me, "But, you speak English?" Wish I was joking.

Thanks for the blog comment. Nice to know someone's reading and might have some idea where I am coming from.

Back to reviewing for tomorrow. Get to tell the kids that the little red thing with black spots is a "ladybird," cause that's what the book says. Never heard that in my life....pero...¿qué voy a hacer?