martes, 6 de mayo de 2008

On strike!

By chance, I browsed through a copy of 20 Minutos, one of the free dailies handed out at the metro, on the way to work. It's sad to say, but I'm usually not alert enough in the morning to glance at anything but headlines succinctly describing faits divers. A crime here, a scandal there. There will be partly cloudy weather and perhaps yet another celebrity will adorn their child yet another ultra unique name.

And here I thought I had it bad.

I guess I've been really out of the loop, because tomorrow will see a general strike calling Madrid-area teachers to protest against the privatization of education. You know the story, so let's cut to chase: less funding for public schools.

This translates to decreasing attraction, in more than one way. I'm not familiar with the kind of training a teacher would need to work in a concertado or a full private school, but obtaining a post at a public school is definitely a case of demand overrunning supply. If it's "easier" to work at the former (what would you need in terms of qualifications?), then it probably makes sense to forego the latter, unless it's really what you are keen on. (Like I said, I don't know much about the teaching professions, in Spain or even in the U.S., so if someone can enlighten me, please feel free.)

Families are also opting out of public education due to lack of materials and space. From my own experience, the teacher with whom I work sometimes has to pay out of her own pocket for things that the children use on a daily basis such as pencils and erasers; other times, the expenses are for art projects. My school is slowly "modernizing," too; a small screen for the assembly hall and a new photocopier are some of the items on the agenda. In the last few months, they've been reconfiguring some rooms on the first floor to accommodate the incoming third classes of first- and second-years, respectively (usually, there are only two in each level).

Keeping this in mind, it then makes sense for some families to pay for more, better resources. If they can afford it, why not, right? On the other hand, it brings up the familiar problem of a kind of socioeconomic flight which Katie Profunda had brought up a while back. Spain has surely come a long way towards diversity, but it has many more miles to go.

In the end, you may wonder if I myself am going on strike tomorrow. The answer is an unequivocal no; since I'm a mere assistant, therefore not a teacher, therefore not a civil servant, it's my job to stay. Only two teachers from my school are protesting, and the rest, like the teacher with whom I work, because it's the children who matter.






(Image: Rini Templeton)

4 comentarios:

Tres Jolie Julie dijo...

Que manera de enterarse! En mi caso se supone que cada uno de los profesores de inglés estará de huelga, pero sin embargo estaré en el cole haciendo...no sé qué.

Katie dijo...

Interesting. An auxiliar friend had mentioned the strike but not the por qué. Good for them I say. I see a real problem in diverting public resources for anything other than completely public causes.

Tres Jolie Julie dijo...

As to the reasons, the público/concertado issue was a major one--somewhat but not entirely analogous to the charter school dilemma in the U.S.--as well as certain benefits inequalities for 55+ and interino teachers. Plus the demand that salaries in Madrid be on par with other communities, including the better-paid País Vasco.

Barely any students came to school today at my colegio and every one of the English teachers was on strike, except for one who said he couldn't afford to lose 100 euros for doing so. The principal sent the auxilares home within a half hour. All I can say is that at my school, those who went on strike are those who seemingly care most about the students, although their level of dedication also skews along age and political sympathies.

Hilary dijo...

Very helpful blog, Ive been accepted to Madrid for 08-09 and studied in the Bay (where you received your Visa from it appears). Just wanted to drop in and say thank you for your posts (I discovered and read your entire blog today).

Cheers