viernes, 9 de noviembre de 2007

Canjear

v. Intercambiar, trocar o hacer una sustitución.
(Diccionaro de Español para Extranjeros, 2002)


After my three-person intercambio this evening, I trekked on over to La Palma to see First Aid Kit, a band I heard by chance while perusing--ahem--thatspace.

I knew I liked the music, but was still doubting whether or not I'd stay. It's been ages since I've been to an intimate show, and even more time has passed since I've hung out at a club/bar/disco. In other words, the last time I "went out" at night was many, MANY moons ago, so I was already nervous and paranoid, Woody Allen-in-his-movies-style, before I'd even opened the door. Luckily, it was quite casual; I waited around with a few other folks in the space between the entrance and the seating areas, as the show hadn't yet started. Paid the 7,-EUR to get in, stuffed my ticket in my pocket, and ordered a caña at the bar, slapping some coins on the counter.

Now here's where my stupidity lies. First of all, I don't drink; mostly because I shouldn't, but also because I just don't like the taste. I suppose I'm in the wrong city to have such an attitude, but that's a whole 'nother story. I also suppose that I could've ordered a Coke or a Fanta (my standby), though something in the advert about the consumición mínima made me think that this only applied to alcoholic beverages.

No points for me here.

Cleaning my pockets out when I arrived home, I read the--by now--crumpled ticket, to discover that podía canjearlo, that I just spent 2,50,-EUR on a drink that I didn't even want. In the end, I guess that it's not such a big deal (will my wallet really miss 2,50?) and that, at the very least, I'll never forget this word.

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

But on a positive note i am sure that all the attending were, as the master of film, woody allen, would say "they are all lovely people, a credit to their race!"