lunes, 31 de marzo de 2008

Spring is in the air

It's hard to be depressed when it's ridiculously beautiful outside. Since I've been kind of--natch, mostly--down on myself as well as my time thus far in Spain, I thought I'd do a complete 360 and attempt to cheer up a bit by presenting my scant readers a list of some of my personal Madrid favorites:

* Terrazas -- With the good weather about, all the gastronomic establishments are busting out the outdoor seating. Gaudeamus in Lavapies is a perennial favorite, but unfortunately, they only open up in the afternoon on weekdays, at 8 on Saturdays, and are--gasp!--closed on Sundays. On weekends, I like any of the places giving out to the Plaza de Olavide.

* Los Alpes -- Because this ice cream shop can make any flavor into a very delicious shake for 3,20EUR, and because I can walk to it, and because it's not yet packed with the summer crowd.

* Panta Rhei -- My preferred design bookshop in all of Madrid. The owners/employees are nice, help you when you need it, and otherwise leave you alone to peruse the excellent selection. Sure, it's all expensive, but it's a great place for inspiration.

* CD Drome -- Caters to (most of) my music needs. Again, browse for hours! And if I can't find it, there's that behemoth in Callao.

* Mingote -- I've personally never seen the illustrious illustrator's work on paper, but its city-wide presence never fails to elsmile. Find the drawings on the facade of a building on Duque de Osuna, behind the staircase near Plaza de España, on C/Sal in Las Austrias, and in the Retiro metro station platforms.

* Centros culturales - A great and cheap way to get your kicks in your own neighborhood. In April, for example, my local center will be offering a slew of conferences, concerts, a few exhibits, and even a weekend guided hike in Cuenca.


More to come when I think of it.

1 comentario:

MLE dijo...

Sometimes it's a lot easier to write about what makes you crazy (things like being stared at all the time, losing your camera, Spain's interminable lines) rather than what makes you happy. Despite all the crazy things, despite the fact I'm about to post a blog about how cateto Córdoba is...I'm happy here. It's just hard to describe happiness.

Thanks for the blog comments, and for reminding me that things aren't usually so bad.