domingo, 2 de marzo de 2008

Thank you, global warming!

Spring seems to have sprung prematurely, and as foul a mood as I have been in lately, it hasn't take long to desist. Indeed, I often feel guilty if I dare to do nothing, overcome with the concept of "wasting time." Why have I not yet been to Sevilla? Gijón? Cuenca? Or El Escorial, for that matter?! It seems as though half my decisions are predicated on the fact that my time here is limited, but let's face it: I'm a homebody, wherever I am. Especially now that I've found more habitable digs, I prefer to stay in within the confines of my temporary home.

On the other hand, I do believe that I've opened myself to a lot more in my short time here than I have stateside. For instance, I walk a lot, and often. This may not be much of a big deal, but after years of living in a car culture, walking a little under two miles "just" to get bagels is actually a welcome respite. Sometimes I'll check out exhibits or live shows or simply sit in a favorite coffeeshop and read. Such trivialities, perhaps, though for me requires a lot of effort.

As far as making friends goes, I admit that I'm still quite cautious, and don't like to "bond by default," due to shared nationality or cultural interests, for example. On most days, I would prefer to hang out with dogs. Folks here may say that no se relaciona bien con gente but I've definitely tried my hand at being more sociable, precisely because I don't have the "support network" that is my family and friends. In steps, of course.

Don't worry; I'm not so insular as to think that loneliness is a condition unique to me. I'm also aware that complaints are null if I don't try to reach out to others.

So, what solution(s) would I propose, then?

I'll take it in strides, I guess. I'll continue to do as I do, and if someone wants to join me for a shake at Los Alpes, all the better.

No hay comentarios: