miércoles, 5 de diciembre de 2007

'Tis the season

The end of term--and of the year--is
nigh. Holiday merch is on sale, the lights are turned on, and people are hoping to win El Gordo. In class, we've learned prepositions and body parts; now we're preparing reindeer and los crismas for our penpals in Sheffield, UK. My parents even sent candy canes to dispense to the children.

Long before the real vacation begins, however, a mini-exodus starts this weekend. Many are fleeing the city to spend the very long puente elsewhere. As for me, I'm staying in town, drinking massive amounts of tea and hot chocolate (not at the same time) and perhaps squeeze in a day trip (or two) to, say, Toledo or Segovia. Who knows? I would've liked to go up north again, but I still have quite a way to go here. With that in mind, I'll attempt exploring other parts of the country when the weather (and homesickness) isn't so exhausting.

Maybe I'll actually, literally take a break--or learn how to. I could go to the Reina Sofía (it's free tomorrow) or to the movies (I recommend Persepolis) or to the park and draw (something which I haven't done in a long time) or, like always, wander around like the perpetual (yet presumably more "conscious") flâneuse and take pictures. So many possibilities, indeed.

(One of my worst vices is indecision, exemplified by my reluctance to single out ONE foible).

For those keen on holiday-themed activities, your choices vary, which include a Christmas bus, an ice sculpture exhibit, and (most interesting to me) pyrotechnics at Plaza de Oriente on the 14th. I've never been too big a fan of seasonal festivities myself, although curiosity might get the better of me and implore me to find out how Madrid does it up.

No hay comentarios: