domingo, 7 de octubre de 2007

Back to school and intercambios

For first term, I´m assisting the school´s program coordinator with two different groups of 6-7 years old. I´ve mostly been observing so far, and helping out with the odd pronunciation here and there, as well as working with small groups of 4-5 kids in the afternoon, reviewing prepositions and the like.

The staff and the kids with whom I work are, for the most part friendly. Some (of the kids) have had difficulties pronouncing my name, calling me anything from Carmen to Carpeta (!), I tell them that I´m also trying to learn their names. The kids also take the time to say hi and chat with me a little bit before class. On my second day there, I was confused about where I was supposed to enter and wound up in the recreational area. One of my students spotted me, ran up and gave me a hug. Another went so far as to inform me that her santo was coming up, which made me wonder if it was a hint of sorts to bring her some candy.

Half of the time I´m not really sure about what I´m doing, but the teacher is very communicative, not only guiding me in the different projects, but also asking for input on how to best implement such and such a lesson plan, or looking for suggestions for activities. Next week, I believe that we´ll get some Halloween stuff in motion, as well as (hopefully), some crafts related to Día de los Muertos.

Other than school, I´ve been too pooped to really do much of anything, although I posted an ad on Loquo for intercambios, and I´ve had one every day since Friday, until next. I thought I´d give private lessons, but to meet different sorts of people, perhaps those with whom I can go to the movies or the museum, this is really great way to do it. And of course, I´m ameliorating my Spanish-language skills as well. I´ll write more about my impressions later, whenever I get on the internet again.

Thanks for reading.

2 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

My santo is coming up soon too!

Tres Jolie Julie dijo...

Sounds like things are off to a good start! Here are my first impressions:
http://europicurean.blogspot.com/2007/10/school-days.html