lunes, 1 de octubre de 2007

Insert real post here

Qué tal? After about 10 hours of transit, I´ve made it to Madrid. Yes, I have a room...the size of a U.S. walk-in closet, but I´m trying to stress the positive aspects of my apartment situation, being:

1. Compis majísimos
Well, we´ll see in a few weeks, right? I found the ad through easypiso.com to which I subscribed for 30 days. It was the guy, R, who responded to my ad. I checked out the place and chatted with him shortly after I arrived in town (only a few days before work started), I said yes. He also picked me from my hostal and helped me move in my humongous luggage cart. The ¨two girls¨ to whom he referred are actually his mom and his mom´s cousin, who were quite kind to take me on another tour of the house, and suggested that perhaps, I, too, could be an honorary member of the family for the duration of my stay.

2. Neighborhood
Yes, a little ¨rough on the edges,¨ but mostly super tranquilo nonetheless.
The metro station is right in front of the building and takes me directly to the stop for my school. I am also 10-15 minutes away from one of my favorite neighborhoods.

3. Rent
Let´s just say that I´m paying much less than what I´d visualized, with utilities included. Not that I´m no longer considering private classes, but the monthly payment sure does help.


After having spent the night out since I´ve arrived, I thought today would be a good day to take a breather (from that) and run errands instead. I wanted to get a bank account today, at Caja Madrid, but the teller informed me that I´d have to get an
certificado de no residencia from the Comisaría. She also added that since I have U.S. citizenship, I shouldn´t have any problems, but now I´m feeling too lazy to accomplish this task. Anyway, a trámite is a trámite is a trámite, so I figured I should wait to see if the folks at the orientation tomorrow have any tips, and then plan for another day, a la madrileña.

3 comentarios:

Tres Jolie Julie dijo...

So, did you get any answers about the non-resident accts today from Aurelio, et al? Considering I heard the trámite appointments for the NIE and cards aren't actually set yet...who knows if you'll be free to enslave yourself to your Spanish bank of choice before November arrives.

C. Lee dijo...

I heard from someone, somewhere that the bank stuff would be taken care of as well, but I guess that is SO not the case. Oh well! I figure I´ll just keep hopping from one Caja Madrid branch to another...

How was your first day?

Unknown dijo...

Well Caja Madrid id not US BAnk but i am sure it will do just fine! I like the adorable voices on the homepage!