lunes, 22 de octubre de 2007

Customer service

Proof of NIE appointment in hand, I was determined to open a bank account today. First, I tried the Caja Madrid around the corner from my place. After waiting for five minutes in the pago de recibos line, I followed another customer to the basement for what seemed to be personal banking. I soon got nervous and left, promising myself I would stop at the next closest branch. Eventually I ended up at one near Goya, having passed by quite a few on the way.

Only two folks were waiting, and I sat in between on an empty chair, not knowing whether or not I was in the right place, but relieved to be resting. "Están esperando?", a young woman with shoulder-length blonde hair inquired. A bit tired to respond verbally, I simply nodded my head.

It must've been 30 minutes or so before my turn came up. I hastily shuffled to the desk belonging to a distinguished-looking older man who reminded me of a slightly older and bespectacled Caetano Veloso. Noticing the sparkling wedding band on his left hand, I deduced that he might also have children in my age range, and began to be hopeful about opening an account. The tuteo began.

My appointment is not until late next month, but I suggested that it might be possible to open up an account since the actual NIE number is already on the paper. I further explained--though unnecessary--that I really needed an account in order to cash my checks from school. He agreed, on the condition that I bring/send back, within a month, that blasted autorización de no residencia, since I don't belong to the EU. Veloso look-alike also signed me up for internet banking, and more importantly,, the Carné Jóven, saving me a trip to the Youth Office. "Así puedes tirar esos documentos," indicating the application forms in my see-through folder. I beamed, partially due to the success of opening an account, but mostly for the banker's attention--kind, thoughtful, and patient.

The card, he said, will take about a week, and of course, there's still that issue of getting myself to the police station for the autorización. Tomorrow, perhaps. Now I have more contracts signed, and it's all in Spanish legalese. Another collection of papers to add to the rest, but at least I'm one step closer to settling in. I'm getting there, little by little.

1 comentario:

Tres Jolie Julie dijo...

So glad it worked out for you. I opened up my own cuenta CMCOOL using the resguardo I got that has my NIE on it. I asked if they cared to see my tarjeta de estudiante when I eventually got it, and the person helping me said yes, but it wouldn't change anything about the account. No mention of any autorización de no residencia so I'm still mystified as to what it is.